Mealtimes Are Confusing

Lately, I’ve been watching Alex eat with something akin to awe. Now, it’s no secret that we play with our food. And that I have rather odd eating habits. But Alex is doing things that make me scratch my head and cringe.

For instance, I recently watched him eat a hamburger. He carefully peeled pieces of the bun off and dipped them in ketchup. When he’d eaten the entire bun, he pried apart his doublestack and scraped the cheese off the hamburger patties. Then, he ate all his grapes. When he was finished with the grapes, he nonchalantly picked up the bowl I’d placed the grapes in and drank the water.

Hmmm, that last part doesn’t make sense, eh? You know, you wash the grapes, you put them in a bowl, the water drips to the bottom of the bowl? Yes, Alex drank that as part of his meal. Then he ate the three M&Ms he’d won while potty training that day and considered himself done.

I was shocked.

In somewhat related news, my shock at his eating habits has me wondering: at what point do I stop blogging the hilarious stuff he does? At some point, he’s gonna want some privacy right?

Maybe I’ll stop right after he’s done potty training. Because that hell is all mine and it’s hilarious.

Or you know, I could never stop and just save up for therapy instead. I’m sure his future spouse would appreciate the heads up on a lot of things.

Do you know when I should stop telling funny stories about Alex? If so, like Taming Insanity on Facebook and give me a piece of your mind. (This is supposed to be hilarious. I don’t actually want a piece of your mind. Although I’m sure it would be delicious.)

13 Responses to Mealtimes Are Confusing
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    April 23, 2012 | 6:11 am

The grape water drinking is hilarious. Did you ask him why?

Monkey has taken to licking chocolate bars. That’s not weird, just greedy, right?

2. Making It Work Mom
    April 23, 2012 | 6:20 am

I don’t know why drinking grape water grosses me out, but it does.

My kids don’t have any weird eating habits they are just obsessed with vegetables. They love getting to pick the vegetable for dinner and have been told more than once by my husband to “stop eating your vegetables and eat something else”. It’s just strange.

I still blog about all the funny things my kids do and they are 12,10, and almost 6. I am fine with paying for their therapy.

3. JDaniel4's Mom
    April 23, 2012 | 8:15 am

JDaniel has stopped using a spoon and fork. He also scrapes cheese. I don’t dare right about it at his age.

4. Kristin
    April 23, 2012 | 8:44 am

You stop blogging about him when he’s old enough to say “stop blogging about me”. In my experience that’s about 6.
    I read something about asking your kids what they are ok with you blogging about and what they aren’t, that sounded like a healthy idea. I haven’t tried it yet.

5. TheKitchenWitch
    April 23, 2012 | 8:44 am

Never stop! Children are forever amusing!

6. annabelle
    April 23, 2012 | 8:47 am

Love it.

Stop? I plan on a public humiliation forum for as long as it suites me. It’s likely the least emotionally bruising thing I will do.

7. liz
    April 23, 2012 | 9:50 am

You need to allow for air quotes and pronouncements to teachers of you or David not wearing underpants.

8. Elaine
    April 23, 2012 | 9:58 am

My kids are crazy eaters sometimes too. I think a lot of times they are just experimenting with their food, you know? I think drinking the grape water is hilarious.

AND PLEASE! Don’t stop with the stories any time soon, k? ;)

9. jenny
    April 23, 2012 | 1:30 pm

That is pretty hilarious. Will actually does the same thing with his bowl of blueberries. Kids are weird eaters but it is so funny, you can’t help but talk about it!

10. Katie E
    April 23, 2012 | 2:39 pm

Never stop! Sharing the funny stories is one of the joys of having kids, right? I think so. I plan to embarrass my kids with them FOREVER.

11. Aleta
    April 24, 2012 | 7:33 am

Now you have me wondering if the grape water taste any different than regular water ;) Cute story to share and at least you know he’s getting his water :)

12. julie gardner
    April 24, 2012 | 11:02 am

I have no good answer for you; other than by the time I started blogging, both my kids could read and were online – along with all of their friends.

So the only potentially embarrassing stuff I’ve written about them was from a decade ago and not that bad; for the most part, I don’t write anything current about them that isn’t just a disastrous “family” story.

Or a sweet compliment. Or some truth about parenting.

Luckily, I do enough embarrassing stuff myself.

Still.

I’m sitting on a great story from when Jack was four involving his best friend, underwear, thumb tacks and a closet.

I wonder how old he’ll have to be before I can tell that one to the world?

13. John
    April 25, 2012 | 8:47 am

I’m not sure about the line between privacy & hilarity, either . . . but I know that you’re toeing it the right way for me :-)

My daughter eats pizza by picking off the cheese, placing it, in strips, in a bowl, and then licking all of the pizza sauce off of her fingers. Then she nibbles at the crust. And then she realizes “hey, cheese,” and goes to town.

My son, on the other hand, is trying to only eat popcorn.