Hey Facebook, Do Me a Solid

There’s been a lot of hype about the new Facebook timelines. I’ve read articles on how to use the timeline, complaints about the timeline, praise of the timeline. And honestly, all that’s great.

What I haven’t read much about is something that has frustrated me about Facebook for months. Tagging.

I’m not talking about being tagged in photos when you don’t want to be. I’m talking about the fact that from my phone, I can’t tag people in status updates. I can’t tag them in comments either. I have an iPhone. I also have a Kindle Fire – that means I have both an iOS and a Droid platform device. Still, no tagging through the Facebook app.

This is basic functionality that has not worked since…well, I can’t recall it ever working. Yet rather than fix this, Facebook seems intent on overthrowing Google. The problem is, in order to overtake a major competitor you can’t ignore your core functionality.

So, please Facebook? Please fix it? If you do I will wholeheartedly support your empire. I’m not kidding. I’m supremely brand loyal. Fix this issue in the next, say, 60 days and I will be yours for life.

Am I the only one this annoys?

Sidenote: Yes, I know this is a First World Problem. It still irks me that a major corporation doesn’t continually update their functionality. If they can afford to buy Instagram for a billion dollars, I feel like they can afford to spend a few hours getting their app to include all features.

27 Responses to Hey Facebook, Do Me a Solid
  1. liz
    April 30, 2012 | 6:26 am

Love it! And you already know that it frustrates me the basic functionality of Facebook is not part of the app. And…how Facebook needs to quit inventing new stuff and instead, fix the old.

2. Kristin
    April 30, 2012 | 6:37 am

Currently my FB will not post my updates and this morning the app screen is blank, nothing.

Ya, smarten up mobile Facebook.

3. Alison@Mama Wants This
    April 30, 2012 | 7:16 am

Facebook on my Android is frustratingly slow, so I don’t even bother!

4. Evonne
    April 30, 2012 | 7:28 am

It’s not just you. This drives me crazy, too! I’m also annoyed that Facebook is forcing me into the new timeline. Luckily I kind of know what I’m doing with the new timeline because of my business page. I was holding out on my personal page. I guess I’m not anymore. Sigh

5. Katie
    April 30, 2012 | 7:59 am

oh dear god…fb on my mobile stuff is pitiful. I am glad I am not alone, but yes, get it together, facebook!

6. Bossy Betty
    April 30, 2012 | 9:49 am

I am sure they will get right on it as soon as they answer the daily letters I send them,

7. Amanda Austin
    April 30, 2012 | 12:15 pm

Can we also talk about the fact that 60% of the time I try to tag other bloggers for posts I”m linking to and it won’t let me? I dont’ get it. Facebook, you perplex me.

8. Kristen
    April 30, 2012 | 1:29 pm

I suck at Facebook. I really wasn’t kidding when I sent out a tweet a few months back asking why someone hadn’t written a FB book for dummies yet. I got the best answers back and they were all about how FB doesn’t even know how to figure out FB because too many upgrades/changes happen at once and without notice.
    You are not alone, KLZ…you are never alone!! ;-)

9. SurferWife
    April 30, 2012 | 1:38 pm

Yes! And what Amanda said! How freaking annoying is it, especially when it’s for promotional purposes that you can’t tag other people/pages/brands.

Let’s step our shit up, MZuck.

10. Jessica
    April 30, 2012 | 1:38 pm

This drives me crazy too and you know what else is a huge problem for me? Sometimes I can’t tag other pages no matter what I do, even if I have already “liked” them. It drives me nuts. Does this happen to anyone else?

11. Greta
    April 30, 2012 | 1:38 pm

I don’t care that they keep changing the timeline, or the layout or whatever. I can handle changes. But yeah. It’s SO frustrating to not be able to tag people/pages from my phone.

12. Jayme
    April 30, 2012 | 2:39 pm

Yes! I was just bitching about this today. I tried to tag several items for my blog from the Expo I MCed yesterday becauase the companies told me to and no matter what I couldn’t do it. Plus my mobile app blows too. They need to start fixing this crap before they start screwing with anything else.

13. Life As Wife
    April 30, 2012 | 7:16 pm

It won’t even let me tag people from the computer! I hit the @ sign and other names pop up but meet the page or person I want…

14. Alex@LateEnough
    April 30, 2012 | 10:50 pm

I hate that.
    I also hate that via my FB mobile app:
    1) I can’t post links as my FB page on my FB page
    2) Sometimes I click on one link and I get thrown into a completely different screen. I click on notifications and suddenly I’m in events. WTH
    3) Some notifications don’t show up in FB apps. I get notified but I can’t see it.
    4) My FB page notifications don’t reset when I check it on my mobile.
    5) It’s so slow in pulling up outside links (no it doesn’t keep me on FB. In fact, now I just open all the links in Safari and don’t go back to FB for hours)

Okay, that covers it. FOR NOW.

• KLZ
      May 1, 2012 | 9:18 pm

They tell me I have a message but then only show me old messages, one of which is marked as new but was previously old.

Or is that one just me?

And for your #1…do you mean you can’t share to your page? Because I can post links but not share to the page, just to my personal profile.

15. Crack You Whip
    April 30, 2012 | 11:59 pm

Oh, I thought it was just me. They keep reinventing the wheel instead of fixing the flat…does that make any sense?

• KLZ
      May 1, 2012 | 9:19 pm

Yes, that is precisely, in every way, exactly what I meant.

16. Duffy
    May 1, 2012 | 5:54 am

I’m not the only one! This annoys me as well. I also don’t understand why you can’t like comments on a photo.

17. John
    May 1, 2012 | 7:16 am

This annoys the piss out of me . . . it’s one of the main reasons why my addictions are more in tune to Twitter.

18. julie gardner
    May 1, 2012 | 1:17 pm

But can you poke people from your phone?

Also, what IS poking?

19. JDaniel4's Mom
    May 1, 2012 | 4:00 pm

I am still trying to figure all of it out so I can know if it is not working.

20. Shell
    May 1, 2012 | 5:41 pm

Totally annoys me. Sometimes I can’t even tag even though I am on the freaking computer- it still is fickle about who it will let me tag and it makes me crazy!

• KLZ
      May 1, 2012 | 9:20 pm

Happens to me too. Drives me nuts. I don’t care about layout – change it as much as you want – but make the functionality FUNCTION.

21. Adrienne
    May 1, 2012 | 6:09 pm

Yes, that would be nice to be able to tag from my phone. My FB wish? I just really want to “dislike” something! I mean, really really bad.

• KLZ
      May 1, 2012 | 9:19 pm

Seems obvious enough that they should give us that option.

22. Ally
    May 1, 2012 | 9:48 pm

Yep, drives me nuts, too!

23. The Flying Chalupa
    May 7, 2012 | 10:30 pm

One day, very soon, I will know what the hell you’re talking about. But I’m totally on your side. Damn you, Facebook!