Three Quick Twitter Tips

I recently learned a few things about Twitter that seemed important to share.

If you’re not on Twitter, you should be. I know, I know, it makes no sense when you first signup. All those weird symbols and short notes are terribly confusing at first. But trust me, it will seep into your blood like crack until Twitter is the only language you speak.

And everyone wants to be addicted to crack, right?

So here are a three Twitter tips to make your twitter-crack even more effective.

To start, a few definitions:

Retweet: a retweet allows others to send something you’ve written to all their followers while still giving you credit. If you want something to grow virally, you want it to be easy for others to retweet.

Hashtags:

Hashtags are a community-driven convention for adding additional context and metadata to your tweets. You create a hashtag simply by prefixing a word with a hash symbol: #hashtag.

Hashtags were developed as a means to create “groupings” on Twitter.>Learn more about hashtags.

1. Utilize Twitter Hashtags

Hashtags can easily be added to tweets as a way to make a quick little joke. It’s not even hard #thatswhatshesaid

But more importantly, they are an extremely effective tool for letting people track a group or cause. While at Blissdom, it was easy to track who was where and what they were learning simply by following the #blissdom hashtag. Even more amazing, some people who weren’t able to go to the Blissdom conference were still following the #blissdom hashtag to see what was going on and if they might be interested in attending in the future.

I was stunned by how far reaching an effective hashtag could be. So if you’ve got a cause or a recurring event that you want people to be able to search for and keep track of? You need a hashtag.

To get people to follow that hashtag, #JustBeAwesome.

2. Create Good Twitter Links

When entering links in tweets, be sure to use the http:// at the beginning of your URL. Without that, Twitter will not recognize it as a link. No links you tweet starting with only “www.” will be clickable.

If you really want to aim high, use a URL shortener like bit.ly. This will take your link and convert it into a shorter URL. You’ll still get to the same page without using so many valuable characters. This will make it easier for people to retweet your awesomeness. And if there’s one thing we all want in this game, it’s to #JustBeAwesome and have our awesomeness spread around the internet.

3. Create Broad Tweets

I was lucky that recently Alex at Late Enough informed me I was a big dodo. I tease, but I was really glad that she reached out to me to let me know I wasn’t properly promoting my guest posters on Twitter.

She let me know that when you start a tweet referencing someone, like @l8enough, that tweet is only seen by the followers you have in common. If you want all of your followers to see the tweet, the person you’re mentioning needs to be further back in the tweet.

Not making sense? Here are some examples:

Limited Tweet

@l8enough is guest posting at my site today!

Broad Tweet

Come see what @l8enough posted at my site today!

Without a series of DMs from Alex walking me through that, I would never, ever have figured that out. Obviously, we all want our tweets to be seen by as many people as possible. That is the beauty and the point of social media. So, watch where you’re mentioning people.

So, in summary, follow @l8enough because she’s super smart and helps me to #JustBeAwesome. Twitter is a great place to get to know her.

After all, Twitter IS like first base.

Want a Just Be Awesome shirt? Visit sogeshirts to get yours today. I bought them for my whole family. (I was not paid to say this.)

66 Responses to Three Quick Twitter Tips
  1. Jessica
    February 10, 2011 | 6:22 am

This is a great post, I had no idea about this broad tweet, limited tweet business and I am tweeting this because everyone should. I love your great information with lots of funny posts.

2. Ms.Wasteland
    February 10, 2011 | 6:32 am

Did you write this to make me love Twitter?

3. Ms.Wasteland
    February 10, 2011 | 6:34 am

PS I FB'ed and tweeted this.

4. Nicole
    February 10, 2011 | 6:40 am

I learned so much from these three tips! I normally have a broader tweet simply because I talk to much and struggle to just fit what I have to say in 140 characters – but it's good to know that it works to my advantage.

5. John and Allie Fields
    February 10, 2011 | 6:51 am

Great advice from the creator of the best hashtag ever… #forboobs

6. mommysparadise
    February 10, 2011 | 6:56 am

Thank you so much for this post. I'm new to Twitter and a new blogger and still need to learn so many things. Thanks again. Will def. follow you.

7. RottenMom
    February 10, 2011 | 7:03 am

Great tips!

I would also like to add, frequently check your @ mentions. It's easy to miss when someone directly tweets to you, especially if you are following many. I make sure to reply to everyone who has tweeted me, no matter who they are.

I don't follow eggs though. Or people who put pictures of their boobies up in their profile.

8. Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli
    February 10, 2011 | 7:11 am

May I make an addition? If you are aiming for retweets, keep it short and sweet so there's room to retweet.
    And yes, follow Alex, she's good peeps.

9. Shell
    February 10, 2011 | 7:18 am

Very smart tips! Funny how pointless twitter seems at first…and then it's totally addicting.

10. Liz
    February 10, 2011 | 7:30 am

I think people will be shocked to learn about the location of the handle; I know I was!

11. JG
    February 10, 2011 | 7:50 am

Nice work.

12. JDaniel4's Mom
    February 10, 2011 | 7:58 am

I am going to need to bookmakr this post and read it again and again.

13. Gigi
    February 10, 2011 | 8:08 am

good tips.

14. ninabadzin.com
    February 10, 2011 | 8:10 am

Ok, I've been telling people that about starting with @ and I've been questioned. THE NERVE. ;) Going to RT this NOW!!!

15. Joann Mannix
    February 10, 2011 | 8:25 am

Here's my Twitter tip if you're first starting out: Have Gigi of @AKludgyMom hold your hand and walk you through it. Without her, I'd still be stumbling around, trying to find my way. I also love Tweetdeck.

I didn't realize that either, about putting the referenced person in the middle. Great to know. Thanks for the tips.

16. Unpolished Parenting
    February 10, 2011 | 8:26 am

I definitely didn't know about the broader tweet technique! So good to know!!

17. Sue Campbell
    February 10, 2011 | 8:35 am

I can tell my FIL wants to get on Twitter but is cautious because it's so weird at first. I'm going to point him to this post!

18. Jenny
    February 10, 2011 | 8:36 am

very informative klz…thanks! i was just asking liz about this.

19. TKW
    February 10, 2011 | 8:40 am

I'm a TwitterTard, so these tips were just the thing I needed.

20. Cori
    February 10, 2011 | 8:41 am

Where do the mystery posts I leave go??

Anyway, loved the ideas ahout how to better tweet about guest posters! Gonna take that advice and run with it, cuz next week my blog is going to host several guest spots!!

Thanks!

21. Jill
    February 10, 2011 | 8:48 am

Exactly! I felt link I was at Blissdom thanks to twitter & the hash tag.

Oh, AND? Jimmy Fallon does a hilarious hash tag thing on his show #lovehim

22. MrsJenB
    February 10, 2011 | 8:58 am

No idea about the handle in the middle of the tweet. You're like my Twitter sherpa.

23. Natalie
    February 10, 2011 | 9:23 am

Alex is so awesome! She told me that same Twitter tip…I think Alex needs to write one of these posts and tell us all she knows!

24. Wombat Central
    February 10, 2011 | 9:32 am

Glad for any and all tips on The Twitter–thanks for sharing what you've learned. In addition to your useful info, here's what else I've learned today: My brain continues to operate at a sixth-grade level, because I'll be giggling all day at a hashtag I spotted this morning on The Twitter. #twatwaffle

25. Alex@LateEnough
    February 10, 2011 | 10:10 am

Thanks y'all. I thought my Twitter Super Hero status would be kept on the DL just a little longer… Oh well… I guess being outed for helping on Twitter is better than being outed for wearing the same underwear for two days straight. The Super Hero gig isn't easy, yo.

PS. KLZ? This is first base? But you didn't even take me out to Skype dancing first!

26. Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points
    February 10, 2011 | 10:23 am

Back in my newly deflowered Twitter days I asked why people put the . in the beginning of a tweet.

It was to make sure that if someone's handle was at the front that their whole stream could still see it.

Ahhh…

Ok, slightly less dense now.

27. Stacey
    February 10, 2011 | 10:45 am

O. M. Gee.

I did not know about number 3! I mean I wondered why some tweets didn't show up to others, but thought it had to do more with personal settings than anything else!

Thanks!

The Lazy Mom wuz here.

28. The Twin Spin
    February 10, 2011 | 10:54 am

I had no idea about the @mentions!

And I notice that I have started to speak in hashtags. I'm all, “Stop pulling your sister's hair! #gimmeafreakinbreak!” The 3 year olds don't really get it.

29. MultitaskMumma
    February 10, 2011 | 10:57 am

So glad you wrote this!!! I'm RT-ing it like mad!!

30. Mommy Lisa
    February 10, 2011 | 10:58 am

You are awesome. Wow. I did not know that about broad tweets either. Thanks for the tip.

31. Mandyland
    February 10, 2011 | 10:58 am

These are Awesome Twitter Tips. I'll tweet them to my tweeps.

And I was very fortunate to have Alex teach me about broad vs. limited tweets. For which I'll always be grateful.

32. Suzy
    February 10, 2011 | 11:11 am

Another important twitter tip is the way you use the RT function. Do NOT use RT in front of a tweet instead of the swirly RT. The swirly RT goes directly into favstar.com and gets you more followers and more fans. The plain RT is not recognized by favstar.

Favstar is where your tweets that are RT'd and starred reside. Starring tweets is also a way to get more followers and fans as a starred tweet loads into favstar and millions of people look at favstar all day long.

33. Lula Lola
    February 10, 2011 | 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea about the whole handle location thing or the hash tag stuff. #remedialtweeter

34. MiMi
    February 10, 2011 | 11:37 am

#Ilovehashtags

35. Amanda
    February 10, 2011 | 11:39 am

I heard “crack” and “justbeawesome.” So, I will obey.

36. From Tracie
    February 10, 2011 | 11:45 am

Awesome twitter advice.

I just recently learned about not putting the twitter handle in the front of the tweet for maximum exposure too (which sounds like I am taking my twitter friends and throwing them out in a blizzard.)

One other thing I would add is don't try to tweet form the twitter website…because that is insane. I use Hootsuite, but some people prefer Tweetdeck, and there are others out there too.

#HashTagsAreAddictive #ThatIsAll

37. Michelle Saunderson
    February 10, 2011 | 11:46 am

Thanks for the great post. Some day I will be a Twitter pro…lol.

38. luckydame
    February 10, 2011 | 11:49 am

Nice tips! I haven't really gotten on the twitter bandwagon. I tweet but no one really follows me and it's hard for me to find the time to be a good 'tweet-er'.

39. Jamie
    February 10, 2011 | 11:50 am

Nice! Had no idea about the broad tweets. And yes, Twitter is like crack. Don't knock it till you've tried it? :)

40. Sippy Cup Mom
    February 10, 2011 | 12:02 pm

Great tips. I retweeted this! ;-)

41. theworkinghousewife
    February 10, 2011 | 12:12 pm

Thank you for these great tips. I’m new to Twitter, and I find it incredibly confusing at times, especially hashtags… I had a vague idea, but you helped me to understand it much better..
    Oh, and had no idea about the Broad tag thing.. That’s awesome.
    Thanks! Trying to figure out how to retweet this properly now, haha!

42. Jackie
    February 10, 2011 | 12:26 pm

Great tips!

I love Twitter!

43. Soge shirts
    February 10, 2011 | 12:28 pm

L8enough really does rock and so do you. I did not know about the mention in the middle of the tweet trick till like 6 months ago after being on Twitter for three years. I probably still forget about that one. Great tutorial for twitter first time users and veterans alike.

I know I didn't pay you but geez I probably should. Thanks so much for promoting the #justbeawesome shirt.

44. julie gardner
    February 10, 2011 | 12:57 pm

Okay, first? I wish you'd written this when I started out (on Twitter (I'm still pretty new, but anyway).

All anyone could tell me when I'd ask about how better to utilize Twitter were things like this:
    You're a natural.
    The Twits will love you.

Ummmmm??? Not helpful. Granted, they probably didn't know either.

But this? Is helpful.

However, I do have a question regarding Twitter etiquette. In your comments, Suzy said to use the autobutton to retweet instead of RT and copying. I'd read that using the button was lazy and that it was more “polite” (or whatever) to put the effort in to RT. Now I'm confused….

Ah well. At least I'm a natural. And the Twits love me.

45. Lemon Gloria
    February 10, 2011 | 1:17 pm

Thanks for the tips! Very helpful!

46. The Empress
    February 10, 2011 | 1:31 pm

The importance of twitter cannot be overstated.
    CANNOT.

(this is me on coffee)

and off to sogeshirts…I have some ideas.

47. Erin
    February 10, 2011 | 2:50 pm

so glad you wrote this one, KLZ! I hope everyone reads it!
    ;-)

xoxo

48. Cascia
    February 10, 2011 | 2:58 pm

Great tips! I'm sure this will help those that are not familiar with Twitter.

49. raisingmarshmallows
    February 10, 2011 | 3:12 pm

I wanted to start a twitter account, but I couldn't move past the user name. The ones I wanted were either taken or too long.

Nikki

50. 30ish Mama
    February 10, 2011 | 4:28 pm

Thanks for helping to unravel the mysteries of the twitterverse! I had no idea about number three.

51. Amanda
    February 10, 2011 | 4:37 pm

I also discovered that you can put a period at the front of your tweet and everyone will see it, too. It just recognizes that there is a character that's NOT an @ . Sometimes I will add that period when I want other people to see a convo I'm having with some people on my list. But you probably knew that ;) You're no dodo!

I'm just starting to utilize the retweet. Great way to spread the awesome…or #justbeawesome

52. Kelley
    February 10, 2011 | 4:53 pm

Those are great tips, KLZ! Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us. :)

53. Practical Parenting
    February 10, 2011 | 6:21 pm

Wow! So helpful! I am trying to keep up, but clearly need you in my life to fill in the blanks!

54. SurferWife
    February 10, 2011 | 10:07 pm

Really? Starting a tweet with the handle in front does that? Are we really, really, really sure about that? I thought it was only when reply that it was limited. But starting a fresh tweet everyone could see regardless of where the handle was.

I see tweets from people I follow that start their tweets with a handle of someone I don't follow.

Wow. This is getting confusing.

55. SurferWife
    February 10, 2011 | 10:08 pm

ok, just read Amanda's comment. Maybe that's how I see convos with people I don't follow. Now that I think about it, the period is there.

Ok, carry on.

56. Elaine A.
    February 10, 2011 | 11:07 pm

Okay, I did not know that “broad” tweet thing and I've been on twitter for a while! Just like my Daddy says, “you learn somethin' new every day!” ;)

57. susie @newdaynewlesson
    February 11, 2011 | 6:37 am

I can't believe that i didn't know about the broad tweet thing.

BTW-do you use tweetdeck? Made twitting so much easier to handle.

58. Poppy
    February 11, 2011 | 1:51 pm

You talked me into joining Twitter in the first place. This tutorial would have been helpful like a year ago!

59. Eat. Live. Laugh. and sometimes shop!
    February 11, 2011 | 5:13 pm

Wow – I had no idea about the broad versus limited tweet with regards to the placement of the handle. How's a girl to know?!?

60. Miel Abeille
    February 12, 2011 | 3:12 am

Grr! I'm trying to say, “This is a great post!” without sounding like the SPAM comments I get (and despise!)

Very smart & simple tutorial on all the things one really needs to know about Twitter. :)

61. Amanda
    February 13, 2011 | 12:07 pm

Hmm….I also did not know about the limited vs. broad tweet. Thank you!

Now if someone could just explain Tweetdeck to me….

I'm your newest follower!

62. tulpen
    February 14, 2011 | 7:26 pm

No. I haven't made it to first base with Twitter. It has pimples and bad breath.

63. Tarja
    February 17, 2011 | 8:59 am

So helpful! I had no idea about the limited vs broad tweets! Thanks KLZ! ps – have you signed up with bit.ly? Is that the one to go with?

64. Sherri
    February 19, 2011 | 11:07 am

I didn't have a clue about that whole referencing thing! I will have to watch that in the future….

Still love Twitter, but not sure I use it right all the time! I did start a list on your recommendation, but now all those Tweetdeck columns give me a headache.

65. Melissa
    August 27, 2011 | 9:41 pm

Fantastic tips. I get so lost on Twitter and I'm still not sure how to know which hashtags to use, but I will try to use them more often along with the rest of these!

66. [...] So, ultimately, why are your friends not on Twitter to join in the fun with you? It’s simple: because Twitter makes no sense. It is a completely foreign language and they have no impetus to learn. They do not want to learn a foreign language. They do not want to grow their following. They do not want to read articles titled “Three Quick Twitter Tips”. [...]